To advocate for California family farmers and sustainable agriculture.
We advance our mission of advocating for California family farmers and sustainable agriculture and seek to create locally-based economic vitality, as well as improved human and environmental health.
What We Do
As a membership organization with staff and volunteers in various locations throughout the state, the Community Alliance with Family Farmers (CAFF) is positioned to rapidly and effectively respond to emerging issues pertaining to sustainable agriculture and family farming. CAFF is one of the oldest agricultural non profit organizations in California; for over 30 years CAFF has played a crucial role in supporting, creating, and leading campaigns and actions to advance the local food movement.
CAFF also has a diversified target audience for our programs and projects: we work with farmers as well as students, consumers, food service staff, and legislators.
• Policy/Advocacy: CAFF is the go-to organization in CA for policy issues around family farming. We address issues including food safety, land use, water, direct marketing, climate change, and healthy school food on a local, state, and national level.
• Biological Agriculture: CAFF works directly with farmers to implement environmentally-sound management practices.
• Farm to School: CAFF is a leader with the F2S program throughout the state, and was recently chosen as the CA FoodCorps site! The program combines fun educational programs with access to fresh, healthy food to create a successful model that transforms students from passive consumers to informed eaters. By connecting schools to farms in the classroom, on the farm, and in the cafeteria, we provide healthy food for students while also increasing farmer income.
• Buy Fresh Buy Local (BFBL) Campaigns: Connects producers and consumers by publishing regional editions of the Eater’s Guide to Local Food, providing marketing assistance and materials to businesses and farmers, and running public education and awareness campaigns to promote local food.
• Farmer Technical Assistance: CAFF enables farmers to be more economically viable through providing on the farm technical assistance in food safety, marketing, and sales tools.